Saturday, April 27, 2019

First Week Impressions



     This week has been nothing short of magical! After a long flight, we met our host families.  My host family has been so welcoming, helping me with my Spanish, giving me sight-seeing tips, and cooking some yummy food.  The school staff has been warm and accommodating as well. 

     Before I came, I did not know anything about the school or what to expect.  It has over 1,000 students preschool through high school.  They are all learning three languages: Spanish, Catalan, and English.  What language they speak, write, and read depends on which teacher they are with during that class.  Even though I know a little bit of Spanish, the teachers want us to speak in English with the students so they can have practice with native speakers.  My students are so sweet and lively.  I have two different third grade girl classes for English, Natural Science, and Social Science.  We also have a fourth grade boy class and a fifth grade girl class for Art. 

      The most notable differences between the US schools I have seen and RMSI (the name of the school here) are the management and schedule.  The students have more freedom in various ways.  They do not have to walk in a straight line, silently down the hallway.  They can chat with their friends and just are expected to follow. Running in the hallway is also allowed.  The students are also given more freedom to touch and play with their same gender classmates; hugging each other and doing cartwheels during recess.  I prefer this way because they are letting the children get their energy out and just be kids.

      Another major difference is the schedule for the school day.  My classes do not begin until 9am and the school day is over at 4:45pm.  However, we get about a 30 minute complimentary breakfast  around 10:30am, an hour and 15 minute lunch break, and at least one 30 minute planning period every day.  The teachers move between classrooms instead of the students.  We say a prayer with the class at the start of the day and after recess.

      The students are very interested in the United States and are excited that I am here.  I have loved my experience so far.  My favorite memory has to be them asking me to sing with them.  Next thing I knew, I was singing "A Million Dreams" from "The Greatest Showman" with a room full of third grade Spanish girls.  My heart was so full!  I am excited to see what will happen next week, when there will be a sub on Monday and Tuesday, no school on Wednesday, and a skype call with my 1st student teaching placement class on Thursday.

      I can't even begin to cover how I feel about the sightseeing and food of this city.  Everything has been incredible! I better stop typing so I can go eat tapas with my host family.  Hasta luego!

2 comments:

  1. Julia, it sure sounds like you are already having a great experience in SpainI I can see that you are working hard to make strong connections from what you are learning in their school that you can also use in your own classroom soon. I bet those students loved it when you were singing for them! Your instant willingness to do this is a sign of a great teacher!

    I borrowed your group photo to share here at WKU. I'd love to celebrate your abroad experience more. If you are on Twitter, tag me @WKUmartin. Our local school districts use Twitter and love to see what our future teachers are doing. WKU is proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am having a wonderful experience! I do not have a Twitter, but I am sharing on Facebook and Instagram. Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete