Wednesday, April 17, 2019

Countdown to Barcelona

     Here I am, five days before I will be in Barcelona, Spain, and I can't believe it's actually happening.  Perhaps that has something to do with the lack of packing I have accomplished so far.  Mostly, it has to do with the fact that I can't believe I'm so lucky to have this opportunity.  I don't really know what to expect at the school I will be placed at.  I love meeting new students and I am sure we will become close soon.  I am also excited to meet the teacher, improve my Spanish, learn about the country, and stay with my host family.
     A couple of weeks ago, I Skyped my family.  They gave me a tour of their home, showing me my room and giving me a look into their lives.  The three children, the husband, and wife all speak English, Spanish, and Catalan.  I have taken three years of Spanish and really want to improve, especially in my speaking.  I am nervous about speaking Spanish because I feel very vulnerable when I do it, but I know putting myself out there will be good for me.  Listening to them speak at home and at school should be beneficial as well.
     My host family says they are eager to take me places and teach me how to navigate the city.  I have been told that Barcelona has an easy to understand public transportation system.  Having a terrible sense of direction, I hope to be successful and not get lost.  If I stick with my classmates, I hope that we will decrease the likelihood of getting lost and also grow to be good friends.

Tune in next week to see my first impressions of my experience!

Hasta luego, Barcelona!

No comments:

Post a Comment